2.5 months in Seoul, South Korea
 
Friday, June 04, 2010
Revisiting Korea
It's hard to believe it's been three years since I last visited Korea. So much has happened since then, and I'm amazed to find myself a second-year medical student. Looking back at posts like this helps to remind me of all of my experiences in Korea, and why I chose to become a doctor.

Surrounded by classmates taking medical Spanish makes me think about the state of my Korean language skills. In the midst of med school, the best I can do is the occasional unwise but satisfying Korean-drama binge during exam week. It does surprise me how much I remember and retain from my Sogang classes, particularly more technical vocabulary words and reading text. I'm so glad that I had the chance to visit through the Light Fellowship ---the summers I spent in Korea definitely reinforced my language skills and will come in useful when interacting with Korean patients (fingers crossed on that one).

Anyway, a quick update to the blog-- my friend Kaila, who was my Seoul travel-buddy, and my little sister Esther are both in Korea for the summer: Esther is on the Light Fellowship through Yale. Kaila is back to work with an adoption agency and find her roots as an adoptee in Korea. Here are their blogs. I wish them luck!

Kaila's Blog: http://theroad-kaila.blogspot.com/
Esther's Blog: http://estherinseoul.blogspot.com/

Also I couldn't resist posting a food-related tidbit--a recipe for homemade yakgwa, a syrupy golden-fried Korean honey cookie:
posted by Jane @ 10:35 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Kelly McLaughlin said…

    You guys are awesome. I love the Korea Group! =)

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Shuttermink said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Shuttermink said…

    Hi Jane! I'm currently an MS1, and came across your blog while looking up possible volunteer opportunities in Korea. I hope to go there this summer and do pretty much what you did! I'd like to know more your trip and how you managed to find all the places you visited and volunteered at. If you can email me @ my gmail address, I'd really appreciate it. I hope you still check this blog as well...

    (Sorry, I deleted the last comment because I realized I wasn't clear about my email address! It's nayunii at gmail. I hope to hear from you soon!:))

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Home
Counter
visitors
Posts by Category: click to expand
Culture and Society
Events and Performances
Food
Places of Interest
About Me

Name: Jane
Location: New Haven, CT, United States
See my complete profile
Recent Posts
Archives
Links



BLOGGER